When the going gets tough out there on the road, one of a runner’s favorite tricks is to resort to a mantra, a few words of self-encouragement to power through. Some of my favorites include:
- “I can do hard things.” — Borrowed from The Hungry Runner Girl
- “The faster you run, the sooner you’re done.”
- “Pain just hurts.” — recently read in Scott Jurek’s book, Eat & Run
- “Give it your all.”
But since I haven’t been able to run, I’ve had to come up with some new mantras to get me through the tough moments on the couch. Some of my favorites here include:
- “Heal now. Run later.”
- “Running will always be there.”
- “The elliptical is fun. The elliptical is fun. The elliptical is fun.”
- “Patience is a virtue.” — First heard by my young ears in the blockbuster hit, The Mummy
Did you use a mantra to help you through your injury? Let me know. I’ll take all the help I can get. Also this site is great to get your mantra printed on a bracelet.
These are great mantras! My favorite is “run strong” which reminds me to stay both physically and mentally strong throughout my run. I like your reminder that running will always be there!