A BACK UP PLAN

Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 8.12.52 AM

Yesterday afternoon, this article was released on Runner’s World. I have to admit, it got my heart racing, and not in a good way. In short, it says the field for the 2016 Boston Marathon will be even more competitive this year, giving the “squeakers” (like me) even less of a shot of getting in. After reading all about this, I had a very difficult time thinking of anything else for the rest of the day (sorry, coworkers). Even as I’m sitting here my mind is reeling, and I’m utterly panicked that all my hard work last winter and spring was in vain.

And while my fate is still up in the air, I’m deciding now to take control. It’s true that there’s literally nothing I can do to help my chances now. I just have to wait until Wednesday’s verdict, when registration closes its doors. But you know what? Even if I don’t get in, that’s ok. Don’t get me wrong, I will be sad, and I will most definitely shed some tears. I will likely be frustrated and curse the B.A.A. for being unfair and myself for not being faster. But it will be ok. Because there are other marathons—marathons that I haven’t even run yet. So, in the short term, to keep my mind busy and my heart calm I’m going to focus on those other options out there. Here are some of the more appealing ones:

• Eugene Marathon (Oregon, May 1, 2016)
  • Mayor’s Marathon (Alaska, June 18, 2016)
  • Sugarloaf Marathon (Maine, May 15, 2016)
  • Vermont City Marathon (Vermont, May 29, 2016)
  • Yuengling Shamrock Marathon (Virginia Beach, March 20, 2016)

See? Look how optimistic I’m being! Surely the readers who know me must be confused as to whose blog they’re reading by now. But I’m trying to turn over a new leaf here, guys.

Hopefully all of this research I just did was a complete and total waste of my time. But even if it wasn’t, at least I got some of it out of the way now. And no matter what, you better bet your butts that I will be faster than ever next year and will meet my qualifying standards by leaps and bounds for 2017, because I’m certainly not going to tolerate this kind of anxiety next year.

Is anyone else out there sharing my struggles?

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “A BACK UP PLAN

1. Hanna @ TheMillennialNextDoor September 22, 2015 / 12:31 pm

Ugh, that sucks! I’m really sorry!! I can’t imagine the nerves you must be feeling. Hang in there! My fingers are crossed for you!

Just curious, since you don’t mention it, what was your qualifying time?

• Annie's On The Run September 22, 2015 / 12:38 pm

Hanna, my qualifying time was 3:32:17. So I have a 2:43 window. In the past that’s been plenty, last year anyone who was within 1:09 of their qualifying time got in. But at least Runner’s World is making it sound like it’s going to be much more competitive this year. Keep your fingers (and toes) crossed 🙂

Liked by 1 person

• Hanna @ TheMillennialNextDoor September 22, 2015 / 12:40 pm

Oh I’m sure you’ll be fine! RW is heightening the drama to get more clicks. Although I don’t doubt it will be tougher, I’d be shocked if 2:43 wasn’t enough!

Liked by 1 person

2. Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine September 22, 2015 / 2:14 pm

I am so nervous that if I qualify for Boston that I still won’t get in. I heard great things about the Eugene marathon! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

3. has2run September 22, 2015 / 7:43 pm

I am praying for you. I certainly know how disappointing it is not to make it. My first marathon I was within 4 minutes of qualifying for Boston. Two years later, I am determined that I will make it. Wish you luck.
    bakingrunner.blogspot.com

4. Marna Rehage September 23, 2015 / 2:34 pm

I’m very, very proud of you. A great attitude leads to great things!